In addition to web and print design, I’ve also written copy for television, radio, websites, marketing materials, blogs and fiction. Below are a few writing samples.
The Spiral Path
At the top of my writing accomplishments is the publication of my science fiction novel The Spiral Path, which was released in March 2011.
Published by Carina Press, the ebook division of Harlequin Enterprises, my book is available at all of the major online retailers including Amazon, Barnes & Noble, the Apple iBookstore and even in audio from Audible.com.
Danger Gal Blog
Since 2004 I’ve maintained the Danger Gal blog, where every Friday I profile strong female characters, usually in science fiction and fantasy, but also in the mainstream media and fiction when applicable.
I’ve also written several guest blogs of note, specifically the following:
- “Artemis Unbound,” The Galaxy Express, Parallel Universe Event
- “Embracing the Other,” The Galaxy Express, Parallel Universe Event
- “Science Fiction Romance: What’s in It for You?” Manic Readers, Guest Writer
- “Creepiest Supernatural Monsters Evah,” Supernatural Sisters, Guest Blogger
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Since May 2011 I’ve been employed as a contractor with Thermo Fisher Scientific working on their Fisher Scientific website as a web content editor and emarketing specialist. As part of this position I’ve had the opportunity to design and develop the minisite for the education newsletter Headline Discoveries. I’ve also had the privilege of writing for the newsletter about biotechnology and physics news:
- “Surprising Ingredients of Early Galaxies,” Headline Discoveries, January/February 2012, Fisher Scientific
- “Using DNA to Build Nanomaterials,” Headline Discoveries, January/February 2012, Fisher Scientific
I also write for SFSignal.com, as one of their “Irregulars” writing book, movie and television show reviews in addition to contributing to regular features such as the “Mind Meld.” The full list of articles I’ve written for SFSignal can be found here, but the following are some of my personal favorites:
- The Nine Lives of Chloe King: ”Pilot” Recap
- The Cape Recap: “Kozmo“
- Stargate Universe Recap: “Trial and Error“
- Interview: Connor Fox on Mothman, Writing, and His Love for Science Fiction
- Review: Darkborn by Alison Sinclair
- Review: Black and White by Jackie Kessler and Caitlin Kittredge
In Fall 2010 and Winter 2011, I wrote the following articles as a freelancer for the Pittsburgh-based marketing agency The Content Factory:
- “How to Dye Clip in Hair Extensions,” Milani Hair, The Content Factory
- “Top 5 Reasons to Get Real Hair Extensions,” Milani Hair, The Content Factory
- “Worst Celebrity Hair Extensions,” Milani Hair, The Content Factory
National Business Aviation Association
From 1993-95, I managed publication of the National Business Aviation’s Digest, their 16-page monthly newsletter. In addition, I also designed as well as wrote and edited copy for numerous other print publication for the association. In 1995 I joined NBAA’s web team, but continued to provide editorial support as needed.